Forum

Go Back   FreestyleMTX - #1 in FMX > FreestyleMTX General

Old April 30th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #1
chuck

2013 X Games Expansion and Schedule

I just got this email that was sent out to a bunch of athletes and industry people about the 2013 X Games Expansion. It's cool to see X Games still growing. Tune in tomorrow 10am EST to find out the details.

-----------------

Tuesday, May 1 is a historic day in the history of the X Games: ESPN is announcing the six cities around the world which will host X Games events in 2013.

The announcement marks not only the growth in the number of events, but a transformation to a true global celebration of action sports lifestyle and culture. Look to see elements from film, style, music and tech inserted at the events around the world and digitally on xgames.com with the 2013 events.

As you are a part of our X Games family, we wanted to encourage you to log onto xgames.com at 10 am ET on Tuesday, May 1 to watch the future of the X Games unfold. Use the following link for additional announcement details, it will be live at live 10 am ET http://bit.ly/KqTfg0

We'd then love your support in promoting the expansion on Twitter using hashtag #globalxgames. We can also provide more information if you'd like. Many thanks in advance for your help and we look forward to seeing you many times in 2013!
chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #2
Evanzie

So stoked to read this! Hopefully it's ran as a 6 round championship.
Evanzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #3
@AttitudeFMX

This is a project who was launched last may... If anyone wants to read a little bit more about this expansion thing, you can read this articles on ESPN website:

http://sports.espn.go.com/action/news/story?id=6553598

http://espn.go.com/action/xgames/win...ames-locations

http://espn.go.com/action/xgames/sto...vent-locations

And with 3 cities as finalist, I'm glad to say we'll finally host a new event here in Brazil!

hahaha
@AttitudeFMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:46 AM   #4
smitty33

they need some kinda qualifiers ????
smitty33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:51 PM   #5
enchiladalover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanzie View Post
So stoked to read this! Hopefully it's ran as a 6 round championship.
They will all be individual events. No points system. There will be 4 Summer X Games and 2 Winter X Games. Supposedly all of them will feature Skate, BMX, Rally, and Moto in Summer and Ski, Snowboard, and Sleds in winter and each will be at the same high caliber as far as athletes and prize money. I can't wait until next year, X Games all year long sounds awesome to me.
enchiladalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:07 PM   #6
@AttitudeFMX

Here is the schedule:

- Jan. 24-27: Aspen, USA

- March 20-22: Tignes, France

- April 18-21: Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil

- May 9-12: Barcelona, Spain

- June 27-30: Munich, Germany

- Aug. 1-4: Los Angeles, USA
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:56 PM   #7

I would like to know what you guys think. From a spectator point of view I am pumped!!!! But from a 360 degree look....is this good?

Economy wise...is the industry ready for this?

For Example: If Unit pays me 5k a year to run the clothing and the main attraction is that I do XGames, are they going to step up my support x4 to ride all of them...or are guys just going to do some of them and then have some events be less successful then others?

Are all TV packages going to be the same, allowing guys the leverage to go out and get sponsors?

Will this take away form the how big X Games in LA....it was fun having guys come out swinging once a year with all their new stuff...
939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:09 PM   #8
enchiladalover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 939 View Post
I would like to know what you guys think. From a spectator point of view I am pumped!!!! But from a 360 degree look....is this good?

Economy wise...is the industry ready for this?

For Example: If Unit pays me 5k a year to run the clothing and the main attraction is that I do XGames, are they going to step up my support x4 to ride all of them...or are guys just going to do some of them and then have some events be less successful then others?

Are all TV packages going to be the same, allowing guys the leverage to go out and get sponsors?

Will this take away form the how big X Games in LA....it was fun having guys come out swinging once a year with all their new stuff...
I think the only thing that will change is the importance of the X Games in LA. All of the events will be aired on ESPN and all of the events will pay handily. They are truly going for 6 X Games events, not the minor international ones we've seen in the past. With the "if you build it, they will come" plan set up by ESPN, there should be no reason for sponsors to weigh one of these events over the other. We'll see how it goes, I'm excited to see how it turns out and I know I won't be let down. Say what you will about ESPN and the X Games, but every year, no matter what changes have been made, I'm excited when it comes time for one of their events, and I'm looking forward to doing the same with the 3 new events.
enchiladalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:35 PM   #9
@AttitudeFMX

I don't know... If we consider the fact of Aspen and Tignes stops has to happen at same time of the year, every year, because of the necessary weather conditions... The first stop who really changes something and it's new, it's here in Brazil in May. So, we have a entire year to the event... I think it's more then the necessary time to the companys rethink your budget plans.

Besides that, one summer X Games for year isn't a market rule... The guys always have to adapt your plans to the event schedule. It's just a new change in the scenario... And, believe me, probably isn't the last one. haha

PS: I'm trying my best, but I still have a terrible english... Sorry for this!
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchiladalover View Post
I think the only thing that will change is the importance of the X Games in LA. All of the events will be aired on ESPN and all of the events will pay handily. They are truly going for 6 X Games events, not the minor international ones we've seen in the past. With the "if you build it, they will come" plan set up by ESPN, there should be no reason for sponsors to weigh one of these events over the other. We'll see how it goes, I'm excited to see how it turns out and I know I won't be let down. Say what you will about ESPN and the X Games, but every year, no matter what changes have been made, I'm excited when it comes time for one of their events, and I'm looking forward to doing the same with the 3 new events.
By TV packages...I meant (advertising contracts for commercial) When it was just LA...it was the Super Bowl of Action Sports....companies paid top dollar for ad spots. With multiple events...the rating my not as high overall and with the potential of **bundle packages** making it cheaper to advertise....the prize money may not be the same as LA and the guys have complained about the decrease in the past as it is....

Just thinking and worrying out loud...I can't wait to watch!
939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:57 PM   #11
BikerDan
Banned

I'M very excited too, and i think its a good think for alternative sport, but, my only little worry is about progression of the tricks. I dont know if Best trick will be as progressive, inovative, and intense as it is once a year. One other things : good by RBXF.
BikerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:12 PM   #12
JJ Herse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerDan View Post
I'M very excited too, and i think its a good think for alternative sport, but, my only little worry is about progression of the tricks. I dont know if Best trick will be as progressive, inovative, and intense as it is once a year. One other things : good by RBXF.
Well I think it would be great for best trick : imagine a guy that washes out a trick twice in LA, he has to wait a whole year if he wants to unveil it exclusively at XG, to get the most coverage possible ... Now he will be able to throw it sooner, as long as he's not injured of course ... It's just that releasing a trick at XG won't necessarily mean in the Staples Center ...

But will there be Best Trick on each event ?

And from a Freestyle POV, it will allow to invite way more riders throughout the year and also it will give european riders a lot more chances to get in, hopefully. And here again it will allow injured riders to still have a chance to get in one XG event (remember last year how many guys injured themselves in the several weeks leading to XG). Therefore it could take off a lot of pressure on the riders without reducing the coverage.

I just hope they do the additional events actually as big as in Los Angeles ...

Last edited by JJ Herse; May 3rd, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
JJ Herse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:41 PM   #13
theDSGunit

Will there be comps such as Best Whip, Best Trick, and Speed and Style at each event?
theDSGunit is offline   Reply With Quote