PDA

View Full Version : question for the racers

OZ FMX
April 27th, 2004, 04:35 AM
ok i've sorta crossed over to the dark side and wanna try a bit of racing (girlfriend and mate talked me into it) so i'm after some tips or advice on how i can get ALOT fitter and ALOT faster eg. workouts, diets ect

benu
April 27th, 2004, 04:56 AM
boost juice -> gym junkie

lol...

NFG 0903
April 27th, 2004, 05:40 AM
run, swim, eat right, and ride your a$$ off at the track

scobes
April 27th, 2004, 05:54 AM
There nothign better then just plain doing heaps of laps at a mx track, because you get bike fit, and improve your skills, and if you get bored doing laps i get people to time me and then i try and beat it, makes you ride heaps harder.

Robbo66
April 27th, 2004, 06:50 AM
yep. thats all chad reed done. ride, fuel up, ride, fuel up, have lunch, ride, fuel up, ride, fuel up, and ride.

that would be chad reeds day when he was training to be pro.

OREO
April 27th, 2004, 08:06 AM
just ride alot....and practice TONS of starts

Dobe539
April 27th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by OREO
just ride alot....and practice TONS of starts

and then put a new clutch in...

starts come natural... either you good at them or your not.. sure practice makes you better, but dont do them to much or u will just be dumping money into your bikes..

its never the same practicing starts by yourself and with 40 other guys.

do a few practice starts.. to see what gear is best for you. and then just ride.

since your just starting out racing the intesity level isnt going to be very high, so best advice is to ride.

and if you like racing and stick with it, then you will start having to work out off the track.

:cool:

OREO
April 27th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Dobe539
starts come natural... either you good at them or your not

bhahahahah, just like a bicycle when you first start riding it, either you're good or you will never be

practicing anything you do makes you better at it

TARD

sharkmx82
April 27th, 2004, 04:02 PM
always ride with people faster then you, best way to learn to go faster, but dont ride over your head, best way to crash.

MulishaMarch791
April 27th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Just live on the bike. Dont ride one track all the time. Switch up
where you ride to become good enough to adjust to different terrains.

Dobe539
April 27th, 2004, 04:17 PM
the only way to practice starts is to race.... doing starts by yourself will not help you much at all!!

deltron3030
April 27th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Dobe539
the only way to practice starts is to race.... doing starts by yourself will not help you much at all!!

False :rolleyes:

Me and Shane Bess sat at the track and did probably 150 starts.

I went from being on 65's starting in 1st gear and looping out.
I practiced practiced and practiced, and I got my own little secrets and I holeshotted probably every moto. 3rd gear pinned + dump clutch = vroom.

CO_FMXracer74
April 27th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I agree. Practicing starts does help. Just go out to the track every chance you get. Ride hard and ride with other people that are just as good or better than you so you have something to work for. If you get tired of the track, hit the trails. Don't just go for a slow trail ride, either. Hit them like your doing an enduro. Start eating a lil healthier, ride often to aviod arm pump, and just do your best. When it comes to race day, watch the lines the pros take when they practice. Drink plenty of water. And most important of all, just have fun. That's what it's all about.

Good Luck!!

suzukirider99
April 27th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by deltron3030
3rd gear pinned + dump clutch = vroom.

you started in third gear?!?!?

holy shat

that must have been hell on your clutch :eek:

Robbo66
April 28th, 2004, 02:06 AM
IM WITH DOBE ON THIS ONE! and its true. like dobe said, practise a few starts so you work out what you have to do, then ride laps.

you learn how to pick up speed fast practising laps. you learn how to use your clutch coming out of corners and using your rear brake. doing starts will burn your clutch are tyres. really, you should only practise 3 starts a day.
doing starts will help get out of the gates if your got the gates set up, but that isnt hard.
everything you need to learn about doing starts will come from riding laps.

Robbo66
April 28th, 2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by suzukirider99
you started in third gear?!?!?

holy shat

that must have been hell on your clutch :eek:

yep. majority of 65s you start in 3rd.

scobes
April 28th, 2004, 02:08 AM
I use to always start in 3rd on a 60cc, and with the back wheel already starting to spin, there hell responsive little 60cc:D

CRacer#41
April 28th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Just riding the track and getting used to all the lines and jumps and everything is the best way to go. Try and find out if there is a riding school where you would be racing and get to that it will help alot. Good Luck anyway

MilkManizzle
April 28th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by OZ FMX
ok i've sorta crossed over to the dark side and wanna try a bit of racing (girlfriend and mate talked me into it) so i'm after some tips or advice on how i can get ALOT fitter and ALOT faster eg. workouts, diets ect
You act like racing is such a bad thing, why?

deltron3030
April 28th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Yamaha_85
yep. majority of 65s you start in 3rd.

Started in 3rd all my 85 years too.

OREO
April 28th, 2004, 03:19 PM
you people and saying practicing starts don't help make me laugh

tires and clutches are going to wear out, get over it

moto_maniac
April 28th, 2004, 04:08 PM
i do 3rd gear starts on my crf450, pretty much always get to first corner in top 3

84GUY125500
April 28th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Well. Practice practice practice. practice everything EVERYTHING as many times as you can. but remember. jumin although fun does not win a race. it's how fast you can enter and exit acorner. you better get really good with that front brake cause thats pretty much all you use. When your on the track you should never go lower then second gear. ever. And when your jumpin hit it and stay as low as possible when you get good at staying low you can hit a jump going way faster and suck the bike into you and you don't fly anywhere near as far.an study as many pro's as you can. watch how they corner watch how they jump everyhting. And remember although trick bikes are cool. woh's gonna get more recogntion? the guy who won on a stock bike or the guy who won a bike 10 times more built then anyones. And you don't need a new part till the old one breaks or doesn't work like it should. You need to get everyhting you can out of your bike before you can even use performance mods. Unless it's suspension or a seat or stuf that like that. The first thing I do to my bikes is get the suspnsion done then handle bars. after that i run em bone stock for the motor.
But deffinately train like cazy. and be a smart rider. anyone can go as fast as possible for a lap or 2 but who wins the race? the guy who can go that fast for the whole race. i had a big problm with that. you may be faster but if you dont have the stamina yur not going to win. and deffinately practice starts as much as you possibly can. unless ur bubba or rc if you do't get a good start then it'seally gonna hurt the utcome cause it's not so easy to work through the pac. And when you start if you creep the gate you get off the line better. and i happen to think the first races are always the most intense cause you don't know what to expect and the blood really get's going.
ok.lol i'm done fer now. and sorry for the total randomness and possible many spelling errors. (my computer can't keep up wth my typing very well)

Dobe539
April 28th, 2004, 07:14 PM
ok go practice ALL DAM DAY!!! by your self... you might get a little better but how will you know? know one to compare to, but that time could be spent on workin on corners or what not.... and when you dont think before the gate drops really anyway, just comes natrual.

im just saying starts are BEST LEARNED by RACING with guys with a gate, a starter (30sec board)

and oreo... sure clutches are going to wear out, but why shorten there lives? and ya i no tons of guys who start in 3rd gear, and i holeshot when i start in 2nd... its all what you are best at and comfortable with.

if your light start in a higher gear.. heavie start lower gear.

but dont worry about the start your 1st race. those will come as you start racing more and more.

fmxmyway
April 28th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by OZ FMX
ok i've sorta crossed over to the dark side and wanna try a bit of racing (girlfriend and mate talked me into it) so i'm after some tips or advice on how i can get ALOT fitter and ALOT faster eg. workouts, diets ect the dark side is freestyle, racing if the elite.

Robbo66
April 29th, 2004, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by deltron3030
Started in 3rd all my 85 years too.

what was your gearing? and what bike did you have?

rides_green
April 29th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Eat good then just work out, ride, work out, ride, work out, ride, try to ride with people that are better then you so i push's you more to go faster.

deltron3030
April 29th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Yamaha_85
what was your gearing? and what bike did you have?

Dont remember the gearing, RM85.

I raced with Trent Pugmire and Seely and all those guys, lots of them learned the little trick. I know Pugmire starts in 3rd now.

pipeline44
April 29th, 2004, 12:10 PM
if you're havin trouble on a section/corner, redo that section or corner over and over until you are haulin nuts consistantly, then move on to the next section, then just link up the sections after you sort of memorize them and you can go fast.

lately ive been concentrating on staying on the throttle longer and makin sure its wide open whenever possible.

if you aren't givin it enough gas you arent goin as fast as you could be.

Good Cornering techniques make you fast